Monday, March 9, 2009

Ali D’Africa


Exciting news!

During March, the book ”Ali D’Africa” will be available from Istituto Bibliografico Napoleone IBN.
This book is written by Michele Palermo and my friend and co-writer on this blog Ludovico Slongo and covers the 1o Stormo C.T. in North Africa from November 1941 to July 1942.
I have had the opportunity to read the manuscript and it’s very good with lots of interesting information. Still today, the best source to the air war over North Africa is Christopher Shores and Hans Ring’s now out-dated “Fighters over the desert” from 1969. In this book the Italian units is very poorly covered and almost all Allied combats/losses are verified against Luftwaffe records and the part taken by the Regia Aeronautica is neglected (must possible due to lack of sources at the time of writing). “Ali D’Africa” remedies this regarding the 1o Stormo and compares the unit’s combats with available Allied and Luftwaffe records showing that the Italian units played an important part on the Axis side.
This book is, to my knowledge, the first covering this period in detail written by Italian researchers/historians made available in English. This is a very important event!
The book is written in dual Italian/English and will cost € 18. It’s available for pre-orders from IBN@aviolibri.it

Rating 5/5

6 comments:

  1. It is unfortunate though that the company does not foresee the possibility of someone wanting to order from abroad. The website will not accept foreign addresses. Let's see if an email brings some joy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you. Please let us know what answer you receive on your email.
    /Håkan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, the issue is resolved now, apparently you can enter foreign address info if you use the English language part of the site. The fields would not suffice for my (business address) though. But their sales people are very responsive on the email, and very helpful, and I just sent the address in full via email. So the matter is resolved and I sent off my order. Looking forward to the book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They now emailed me saying it was in the mail. I hope to find it at on my office desk when I return week after next, and will then review it on my site.

    All the best

    Andreas

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have only started reading it, but can already say that this is a very good book, and highly recommend it.

    Also, Aviolibri (who I just visited when I was in Rome last week), are a company that deserves support from all those interested in a good supply of interesting books in the future.

    All the best

    Andreas

    ReplyDelete
  6. My review is now up:

    http://crusaderproject.wordpress.com/2009/05/01/book-review-ali-dafrica/

    All the best

    Andreas

    ReplyDelete